Saturday 10 September 2016

Short weekend warmer

Thanks to you all for the good wishes after yesterday's hand surgery. I am currently recovering well and should be back to a semblance of normality in a couple of weeks.

I just wanted to close the correspondence on Daryl Smit for now, which is generating a postbag that Santa would struggle with, opinions of all kinds among them.

My own have been made clear, but of course, I am not privy to the team building plans, any more than you are. For all we know, there could be someone lined up from elsewhere and we may have a Kolpak target in mind as a strike bowler or spinner. What I would be against is packing the side with non-English qualified players, to the detriment of the young talent emerging.

So while I could handle us going 9-2 or even 8-3 with English/Kolpak balance, I would be loathe to see it slip to 7-4. We would struggle to afford it, for one thing and with Neil Broom already here, an overseas would take us to 9-2, before we did anything else. I know he's not a Kolpak, but he is not English-qualified either. I think Smit's experience over here would see him score more heavily, but Neil may well come back with a bang next summer, after a difficult 2016. I certainly hope so.

Let's see how it all pans out.

Thank you for your comments and mails and I will be back over the weekend with a daughter-typed preview of the season's final home game, against Leicestershire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!