Friday 25 July 2014

Worcestershire v Derbyshire T20

I'm not going to go over old ground here.

What was effectively a second team and academy attack was put to the sword by old boy Ross Whiteley tonight. I hope that this doesn't bring forth comments of 'we shouldn't have let him go', because a first-class average of 17 and 136 T20 runs in ten knocks prior to tonight doesn't justify it.

Tonight was his night and an inexperienced attack felt it. The seniors were quite rightly being kept back for the Royal London Cup, but the big match atmosphere the young players have had this year, even in adversity, will stand them in good stead for the future. They now know what they have to do to succeed at this level and will redouble their efforts over the winter to be better prepared next time.

The batting let no one down, but if you're chasing over ten an over it's a tough ask from the start and the best efforts of the top order couldn't prevent a defeat. Someone had to replicate what Whiteley did and no one went on to the big score that would have changed the result.

Next up is the fifty-over cup, starting tomorrow and the late hour and work tomorrow prevents a full preview. A Derbyshire squad has been announced of :

Wayne Madsen (77)                                    Wes Durston (3)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (11)                      Billy Godleman (1)
Scott Elstone (10)                                       Alex Hughes (18)
Gareth Cross (7)                                         David Wainwright (21)
Tony Palladino (28)                                    Tom Taylor (15)
Mark Footitt (4)                                         
Ben Cotton (36)
Tom Knight (27)

Hampshire's squad is:

Adams (c), Briggs, Carberry, Coles, Dawson, Ervine, Maxwell, Smith, Tomlinson, Vince, Wheater, Wood.

An improving Derbyshire side should give them a good game, but I think tomorrow's opponents will be too strong - although I hope I am proved wrong.

1 comment:

1. Tim, Chesterfield26 July 2014 at 18:30

Never mind the t20, what a performance today!

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!