Monday 7 October 2013

What a busy old day!

Thanks to all those who took the time to get in touch by e mail or with comments over the past couple of days.

As always, I am grateful to hear from you and appreciate your interest both in Derbyshire cricket and the blog. The Ben Slater 'contract' has caused quite a stir, but I remain confident that the lad will be in Derbyshire colours next summer - and also that we will be in a good shape for a promotion push by that stage.

To answer a couple of fairly regular questions - I really don't spend ages on the blog, a question asked by Duncan, who is starting his own. I write quickly and usually have what I want to say in my head from my drive home at night. I'd say that the blog averages out at around half an hour per evening; sometimes more, sometimes less. Interviews take a little longer, but family Peakfan are a long way from deprived of my company and time...

The other question was why I remain positive after a season in which we were relegated. Simple - because there's a bigger picture. The club is well-run, with the nucleus of a side that will challenge next summer. The extent of that challenge will largely be dictated by winter recruitment and the progression of young players in the club.

As I wrote last week, I'd reckon you could name six of a first choice side next year right now. But if Chesney Hughes returns to full fitness, Alex Hughes and Peter Burgoyne make progress and we can get a good pair of openers together by whatever means, we won't be far from the business end of the table.

I don't do knee-jerk reactions, because in doing so you leave yourself open to looking an eejit after the next game. Teams win and  teams lose in any sport, but while it is disappointing when it happens, unless a side is in a very obvious nose-dive they normally turn it around. This Derbyshire side is somewhere between the ones we saw book ending the summer - perhaps not as consistently good as later season suggested, but certainly better than early displays suggested. Time and greater experience will aid improvement and I fully expect a championship challenge - with the right attitude from day one.

If technology had enabled me to write this blog at other stages of our history, such positivity would have been in short supply. It doesn't take a lot of thought to see the 'up' side of the current setup. Trust me, if you think it's been bad at times, you should have seen us pre-Barlow in the 1970's...

You got a prescription for anti-depressants with your annual membership.

Until the next time, my friends.

PS I didn't bother replying to the chap who asked why I blogged on Derbyshire when I obviously saw far less cricket than he did and therefore wasn't qualified to do so.

There were a few things I could have said, but I'm way too polite...suffice to say it is comment, not commentary. Been over that old chestnut before, old lad

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are right about Slater,Peakfan. We simply have to find a way of keeping him. There is always the possibility he may not fulfill his obvious potential but not to give him that chance is just barmy. From what i,ve seen of him he ticks most of the right boxes and I honestly believe he could solve us a major problem without breaking the bank. I also think he could make a handy one day player aswell.

    If we can add at least one more proven middle order batsman we wouldn,t be too far off fulfilling our requirements. I still repeat a comment from this time last year that another seamer wouldn,t go amiss. Can we rely on Clare,s fitness and Turner recovering from this seasons nightmare?. If the answer to either question is no or maybe not,then it,s something we need to think about seriously.Had either Groenewald or Footitt broken down we would have been in a real mess. We have to assume that injuries will happen,not that they wont.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about a batsman Marc - or all-rounder - though whether the need is top order or middle will be dictated by Hughes' planned position.
    As for seamers, we do need cover, but as I've said before the Academy lads are 18,19,20 and should hopefully be pushing for a chance next year.
    I'd hope that at least a couple from Higginbottom, Marsden, Taylor, Cotton and Cork should be in the frame for senior appearances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continued thanks for your blog Peakfan. I too live in Scotland yet have supported Derbyshire all my life - having gone to my first match at Chesterfield 55 years ago. Have you any ideas of where each squad member is wintering? Are the younger players getting experience down under? I'm unsure if you have 'inside information' on this - all the best, John

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!