Thursday 26 July 2012

G'day to the Aussies

I'd like to start tonight's blog with a moment of contemplation, in the spirit of true East Midlands camaraderie, for Nottinghamshire, after losing to Hampshire at the death last night.

Right, that's long enough...

Joking apart - and I am sure you were all as devastated as I was at their defeat - it once again showed the benefit of experience in that competition. After Scott Styris put Worcestershire to the sword the night before it was once again the veterans, in the shape of Neil McKenzie and Dimi Mascarenhas, who won them the game in a tight finish.

I have written before about the benefit of old heads in T20 and it is proved time and again. Older players know their game, where they want to bowl the ball, where they want to hit it. They also read match situations better. The fact that I am close to that status myself (ahem...) has little to do with it...

I am pleased to see that I called Derbyshire's side for tomorrow's match against Australia A correctly last night, with Marks Footitt and Turner forming what will be a lively pace attack alongside Tony Palladino. The latter should benefit from a lengthy bowl ahead of next week's table-topper against Kent, while the batsmen will enjoy time in the middle. I think it will be a tight game and, while the result to some extent is irrelevant, a return to the standards set early in the season will serve Derbyshire well.

We will also be keeping a wary eye on events at the Rose Bowl, where Hampshire play Kent, and Grace Road, where Leicestershire entertain Yorkshire. The latter must fancy their chances against a side that depends far too heavily on Ramnaresh Sarwan for comfort and even with a somewhat limited attack it is hard to see the Yorkies not gaining ground after this game. Mind you, that won't stop me hoping for a draw down on the south coast, at the same time that the Foxes reveal a thus far well-concealed aptitude for a battle.

More from me tomorrow, when I hope to comment on a good first day for Derbyshire. Australia and South Africa in the one summer...things are looking up!

See you soon.

PS I've just had confirmation of my holidays, that will see me at the County Ground for the floodlit game against Sussex in around a fortnight's time. I just have the vibes at this stage that it is going to be raining...


1 comment:

  1. The value of signing a good overseas player is apposite I think.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!