Wednesday 13 June 2012

Derbyshire v Lancashire T20

Well, Karl Krikken has named his first T20 squad for the tournament and it is as follows:

Wayne Madsen (Captain), Usman Khawaja, Wes Durston, Ross Whiteley, Dan Redfern, Chesney Hughes, Garry Park, Rana Naved, Jonathan Clare, David Wainwright, Tom Poynton, Tim Groenewald, Mark Turner and Tom Knight.

Having thought long and hard about it, I'd be inclined to move Wes Durston up to open. He made a good fist of that position when he first joined us and, as a clean hitter, can take good advantage of field restrictions whether the opposition open with seam or spin. Chesney would be useful down the order a little and has the ability to clear the ropes, perhaps more so against seam than spin at this stage of his career.

Not having seen the wicket, I can't say whether we're likely to include Tom Knight as an extra spinner - if it is slow, there is a chance he may play. Otherwise I would see the side as follows:

Khawaja
Durston
Madsen
Hughes
Naved
Whiteley
Redfern/Park
Wainwright
Clare/Turner/Knight
Groenewald
Poynton

It's a decent side, a good side. Good enough to beat Lancashire? I'm not sure, but good enough to give them a game, take it down to the wire and then - well, it comes down to who holds their nerve when it matters.

Go get 'em boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!