Friday 11 May 2012

Hampshire v Derbyshire day 3

You probably noticed that I didn't blog last night as there was little point in simply posting "it rained again".

Today we had cricket - hooray for that - and Hampshire made a pretty creditable total of 352-8 in their day of batting. It was a total that should have protected them from defeat in this game.

But did they bat too long? I would be surprised if Derbyshire chased 350 in 96 overs on the last day of a game and can see a potential struggle if they do so. More likely, for me, would be that Hampshire declare, we knock 50-60 runs quickly, then chase a more feasible 290-300. Such a total gives both sides an opportunity of winning. As it stands, in my humble opinion, chasing 350 leaves only one side a realistic chance and I don't think that would be us.

You all know I'm very supportive of the boys and confident that they can make a challenge in most matches, but that, as they say, would be a "big ask". Over at Bristol, Yorkshire have forfeited an innings and are chasing 400 on the last day. There are words that come to mind with such a decision but one stays in my head after the others have gone.

Stupid.

I reckon they'll be beaten by tea time. Let's just hope that Derbyshire aren't so silly. There's aggressive cricket and there's the same with a little more common sense applied.

I hope we choose that path tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!