Tuesday 18 October 2011

It's oh so quiet...

I really disliked that song but it is somewhat apposite for the current state of affairs in the cricket world. Nothing happening in the world of Derbyshire cricket, while international matches tend to be of a somewhat dull and inconsequential nature. If someone can explain to me why, weeks after stuffing them here in the summer, England B are now playing a dull series against India I'd be curious to know. Ah, 'tis the pursuit of filthy lucre...

I do think that there is too much needless, mindless, pointless international cricket played just now and couldn't really care less about some of these series that are going on around the globe. That the West Indies were bowled out for just 61 for Bangladesh today was pitiful, but when you look at their team shorn of Chanderpaul, Gayle and Sarwan and it isn't a team at all. It is barely one with them, to be honest.

Shahid Afridi, a man of Derbyshire vintage at a time we didn't really have one, has announced he's not really retired, merely resting, like a few thespians I know. That must be his third retirement and is not to be confused with his next two, one of which may be the real thing. Or may not be...

Worcestershire have announced they are seeking a big name overseas player - good luck with that lads. I can't think of 18 available big names to go around the circuit, so I'm guessing we'll see a sub-standard or two along the way. It's interesting to me as to whether some counties with budgets tight might be better forgetting an overseas and signing an experienced professional. My own thoughts are that picking up a Dalrymple or Afzaal might be more worthwhile than bringing three blokes from foreign climes for two months each. I can live with  two overseas players in a season, but unless through injury I see no point in playing 'tag' with overseas stars. Some take so long to acclimatise that the salary, flights and accommodation, coupled with their results, makes for a hefty mistake. Given that there are few names out there who would increase the requisite 'bums on seats' in the overseas ranks, I can see a time coming when a lot of teams cease to bother.

Anyway, that's it for tonight. Hopefully more news tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You really surprise me Peakfan, I really saw you as a Bjork affectionado! Oh well, we live and learn, live and learn.....

    You are too right on the quietness front. It feels like a sequence from Das Boot when the an enemy destroyer is circling above. Shsh.

    I go along with your thoughts on the overseas player arrangement. I prefer to, can lives with two, but three is a crowd. Although there have been hints that Mr Krikken may have made some steps in this direction for 2012, I too would not turn my nose up at an English option such as Afzaal or Dalrymple. At least there is continuity and both are known quantities working on the circuit.

    Well, I shall return to the hibernation fold - for now.

    Goodnight.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!