Tuesday 11 October 2011

Dalrymple leaves Middlesex

At another time in our history - or evolution if you will - I could have seen Derbyshire being interested in Jamie Dalrymple's departure from Middlesex today.

Whether the player would ever consider a move north would have been another thing, but on the face of it there is much to like and admire in him. He is a player I respect for wanting to better himself and take on a senior role with a club, rather than meander down a slow road to eventual retirement. I also respect him as a cricketer, a solid batsman, more than useful off-spinner and excellent fielder who did a decent job as captain at Glamorgan before last winter's cull there left his position as skipper untenable. Press reports suggested that the Welsh dressing room was not the most unified of places, something that the captain has to take some responsibility for. Compare it with Derbyshire's and the positive "vibe" emanating from Luke Sutton's leadership if you will.

I could have seen him fit in well at Derbyshire, batting at five or six. With Dalrymple, Wainwright, Clare and Whiteley in the side you would have four players capable of genuine all-round status. Yet I don't see it happening, in response to a couple of e mails I received today.

Why? Because the improved contracts for key players have probably accounted for most of an already limited budget, while the player's age (30) probably mitigates against it. If we didn't have that solid skipper in Luke Sutton I might have been keener, but thankfully we do. I'm currently reading a fascinating book that I will shortly review, in which former Australian wicket-keeper Rodney Marsh talks about how difficult it is to keep wicket to a high standard and captain a side. Sutton did remarkably well last season in that respect and while he would have liked a few more runs, there were not too many wicket-keepers exceeded his first-class tally. His one day opportunities were limited and he can hold his head high at the end of an excellent campaign.

A player like Dalrymple would improve most sides, but I don't see a massive pursuit for his services in the light of the regulations for age-related payments. I am unsure where he might get the senior role that he obviously craves, but I wish a good, solid county professional well.

Until the next time - thanks for your e mails and keep them coming!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you say about Dalrymple's age certainly being a factor that will likely stop counties rushing to sign him. However I can certainly see circumstances where Derbyshire would be interested in signing him. I think if Derbyshire are serious about promotion they need to play the best team possible and try to get the extra money as a secondary aim.

    I think if Derbyshire were to sign Dalrymple it would be if...
    1) Sutton steps away (or is politely asked to) from OD/T20 - giving Dalrymple the leadership he craves.
    2) No quality home seam bowler can be found.

    Basically as it stands Derbys need a batsmen and a seamer to have a complete squad to challenge for promotion. One will likely be an Overseas player. The other, a home based player. I think Dalrymple is a batsmen of enough quality that he can fill the home batsmen role - allowing Derbyshire to sign a quality overseas seamer (if available).

    In this case I see the County Eleven as:
    1) Madsen
    2) Hughes/Borrington/Lineker
    3) Durston
    4) Dalrymple
    5) Redfern
    6) Whiteley
    7) Wainwright
    8) Clare
    9) Sutton
    10) Groenewald/Palladino
    11) Overseas Seamer

    I think a line-up like this would have enough batting (Down to 9) and bowling (4 seamers + 3 spinners) to challenge for promotion.

    I know that rumours suggest that Derbyshire are almost certainly going to go with Guptill and Khawaja again but do I see either making significantly more runs than Dalrymple? In my opinion, they are all likely to average high 30s (although obviously Guptill and Khawaja will improve as they gain experience)

    At the end of the day though it all depends on availability and cost. Just don't rule Dalrymple out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't like to see him at Derbyshire if he is motivated by leadership. We have Sutton, Madsen has been given a go but would like to see Durston given the opportunity. Seems wee respected by dressing room and coaching staff and his performances have lead by example since he arrived!

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - would take Dalrymple over captain calamity any day - your unquestioned loyalty to LS is commendable Peakfan even though i doubt you saw his many mistakes in many games that i did - but we agree to disagree.
    id take Dirymple with Tom Poynton at wicket no hesitation but wed have to pay LS's remaining year on his contract up. Are we brave enough ? doubt it very much

    creweblade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see Dalrymple coming our way either, Peakfan. I wouldn't be unhappy if he did, but think he has more chance of leaving the game in all honesty.

    Like your other contributors, I think Luke Sutton would have to release his grip prematurely (in his eyes at least) and, of course, there is the cost, which is likely to be significant.

    With strong hints that Gupill is to return, could we fit Jamie in without pushing one from the likes of Whiteley, Hughes or Redfern out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments guys! Lewis - excellent stuff and nice to hear from you. Anon - Durston as skipper at some point has merit if it is something he seeks, though I'd see Madsen as incumbent-in-waiting. Crewe blade - I saw Sutton keep well whenever I saw him and most people have told me he maintained a high standard - as did Mark Eklid in his season summary.
    I don't see Dalrymple moving to us as I said, though there would be valid reasons for us to be interested in him as a player of genuine ability.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!