Saturday 17 September 2011

Another interesting story...

One of the best things about writing this blog over the past three years is the number of people who get in touch with information that they hope might be of interest. It always is, although there are times when stories can be ruled out pretty much straight away for reasons of logic. There are others when you think "yeah, maybe..."

Don't get me wrong, I'm always grateful that people take the time to contact me, but there are occasions when you can see it won't happen. Someone recently mailed me to say that he'd "heard" we were signing Chris Gayle as overseas player next season. Now the merits of Gayle are patently obvious for a big occasion, but I don't see how he could be bothered with six months in England when he'll make enough money next Spring in India to keep him in the manner accustomed for a long time. A non-starter for me, I'm afraid.

Then there was the one that suggested that Jacques Kallis was to be announced "very soon". While I accept that I'd have to eat serious humble pie if it comes to pass, it neglects the fact that South Africa tour England next summer and Kallis will want one last battle with the best team in the world.

There is, however, one from time to time that I could feasibly see happen, like the e mail I received from the south coast the other day. It suggested that Derbyshire hoped to bring South African Neil McKenzie to the County Ground as skipper.

I could buy into this one, whether it turns out to be true or not. I know he is out of contract this year and at 35 has shown himself to be a very good batsman yet again this summer, with averages of 43/67/37 in championship/forty over/twenty over cricket. A player of vast experience, he can open or bat in the middle order, while he has captained the Highveld Lions in South Africa.

He would fit the bill as a big name without doubt, while he will not be sacrificing standard by a move with Hampshire dropping into division two this summer. As they have just announced the replacement to Dominic Cork as Jimmy Adams, the player may have a remaining ambition that could be fulfilled elsewhere.

Yes, there's a rationale to it and the signing would not compromise the club's blueprint either, given that we are committed to fielding nine English-qualified players in every team from 2013. The release of Greg Smith frees up the non-overseas berth, though McKenzie could also be considered for the latter role if we didn't want to go back down the Kolpak route.

I present it to you as it was to me, as an as yet unsubstantiated story. It may well turn out to be no more than that, yet the thought of McKenzie as a Derbyshire player holds considerable appeal. I have to say, however, that the thinking money is on a return to South Africa for the player.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!