Monday 1 August 2011

Smith to leave

What most people have suspected will happen at the end of the season - Greg Smith will leave Derbyshire to pursue a career elsewhere, almost certainly in the south.

I've heard suggestions that the player's agent was looking for around 90-100K for next season. The veracity of those figures I'm unsure about, but if true I fail to see how anyone could feel the player justified it on performances over the past seasons.

A batting average of 31 and bowling equivalent of 36 simply doesn't justify such a sum. If anyone out there thinks it does that's fine, but I'd sooner sign four of our young players on worthwhile deals than pay over the odds for a player of average ability and commitment.

Good luck to Smith. For what its worth, unless Karl Krikken thinks we can still progress in the Championship, I'd let him go now. As I said last week, Dan Redfern could and should do more off spin bowling, Peter Burgoyne may well push for the side next year and we have plenty of seam options.

Had Tim Groenewald left, which I never thought would happen, I would have been disappointed. Smith leaves with my good wishes for the future, but there was such an air of inevitability about it that, quite frankly, I'm past the point of caring.

5 comments:

  1. I,m sure you speak for 99% peakfan. He should no longer appear in the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg Smith did not ask for that amount of money, to be told by the Chairman on the eve of the match,!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, to be told by the the Chairman on the eve of the match that his contract is not going to be renewed, is not good, and i thought Karl K was head of cricket

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon how you can say he didnt ask for that amount are you him or his agent, maybe even his mum.from my obs his attitude is wrong and should go. thanks for your service such as it was. good luck, goodbye. brewbeard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talented player, but agree that's a lot of money. If his batting average was 36 and bowling was 31 then maybe it would be more viable. Wish him all the best for the future though.

    Like to see Lineker and Borrington get a run out now.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!