Thursday 2 June 2011

Derbyshire v Lancashire T20

As I write we look like losing our first T20 game after an excellent batting display that just lost impetus at the end when 200 was in sight. Fine knocks by Wes Durston and Chesney Hughes gave us a good chance, after Martin Guptill had played some aggressive strokes to launch the innings in fine style.

The bowling has been less impressive and Lancashire need only to keep their heads in the last ten overs to breeze this one.

The big news today, of course, is the chairman's announcement of a big name player or player/coach to work alongside Luke Sutton next season and perhaps beyond. The move has ECB backing and has been hailed as groundbreaking, which is encouraging.

Of course, the news is bound to start conjecture about the player concerned, with logic suggesting that it is a senior international for whom the appeal of a coaching role while still playing may be irressistible. Several names have come to the fore, among them Jacques Kallis, Graeme Smith, Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, Dale Steyn and Paul Collingwood. Some of them I would discount immediately. Smith, at 30 and captain of his country, has everything he needs and I would think be hard to lure for a full season. Muralitharan isn't fit enough for playing full time and I'm unaware of any coaching credentials. Warne has retired from playing, so could presumably be excluded for similar reasons. Steyn? At 27 his coaching is in the future and he can currently earn a king's ransom in IPL, besides his central contract in South Africa which would probably exclude him. Great player? Yes. Likely to give it all up for us? Nope.

Kallis? Possibly. He's 36 this year, the same age as Eddie Barlow was when he came to Derbyshire and another challenge may have some appeal. There is little sign that his form is on the wane and his signing would hold massive appeal for fans. He bats, bowls and catches flies - what's not to like?

Paul Collingwood is a similar age and would also have appeal for fans. He is a good cricketer, albeit struggling more with injuries of late. I could see him in the role, just the same as Kallis and I could see him making a success of it. At the same time, like Kallis, I'm unaware of his contractual situation and Durham may well have plans of their own for a favourite son.

There are two others who I would see in the frame. Ricky Ponting I've mentioned before and the ex-Australian skipper is a cricket legend who would be a massive draw. The role may well hold appeal too, and no one would dispute that 'Punter' would be a great candidate.

The other? How about Mike Hussey? At 36 he is another who is still a very good player and who may see the role as a first step to a career outside the game. His recent IPL exploits suggested he is still a very good player and a career average in excess of 50 in all forms of the game is indicative of a class act.

Whether these are in the frame is something only Chris Grant and the committee know, but should any of them turn up at the County Ground next season there would be rich entertainment in store.

As I close, we've held them to a tie after good spells by Steffan Jones and Chesney Hughes and a superb last over from Tim Groenewald. If such a pulsating contest doesn't pull the crowds in from here, then nothing will. It shows the level of spirit in the side and no little skill. I still don't know why 190-5 doesn't beat 190-6 on less wickets lost, but Derbyshire can be proud of their efforts tonight. Fans should be too. 2123 there tonight, a good response to start the campaign.

Let's just go one better at Nottingham tomorrow.

7 comments:

1. A great effort from the boys tonight and despite some negative comments on this website about him John Morris has left us with a more than decent Twenty 20 side.
    He has done this despite a massive cut to his playing budget and the loss of Khwaja. Thanks John!

ReplyDelete
  2. Re the Chairman's latest 'Publicity Stunt' only time will tell on what happens next year. To be honest if we do bring a big name in them I'm sure who ever it is will be capable of sorting his own assistants out without being told he has to work with Luke Sutton! No mention of Karl Krikken in the plans. Does this mean Krik will have to join the John and Andy Club too?

ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to be there for this one and I'm sorry I wasn't. It sounds like it was a nailbiter!

ReplyDelete
  4. Last night was a bit like the Holland game, didnt know whether to laugh or cry. This time probably leaning towards a laugh. It was exciting stuff and without wishing to sound too negative we really ought to be able to defend that sort of total,whoever the opposition. Still,its better than losing.I agree with you peakfan,on wickets the result should have been ours. Strange rule that one. Lets hope we can go one better tonight. Notts are looking decidedly wobbly this season.

On the player/coach front it,s another case of watch this space. Something to look forward to,i agree. Speculating now will be for entertainment purposes only as any definate announcement this season is unlikely.

ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't for sacking John Morris but now that we have replaced him with Karl Krikken then I think it is only fair to give Krik until the end of the season to prove himself. The fact that the Chairman is already looking to bring someone else in would surely undermine ALL authority that Krikken has just been given!

ReplyDelete
  6. On visiting the County Ground again this week and talking to members there seems to be one question that won't go away and that is why Andy Brown was sacked?
    When John Morris came in as Head of Cricket he came in alone and slowly put together a backroom staff that was Steffan Jones, James Pipe, Andy Brown, Luke Storer, Karl Krikken and AJ Harris. When John was sacked the Chairman sacked only one of this backroom staff which was Andy Brown. Does anyone know why?

ReplyDelete
  7. Yes they do but can't comment for legal reasons.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!