Tuesday 15 June 2010

Hughes signs three-year deal


Chesney Hughes has signed a new contract at Derbyshire, keeping him at the County Ground until the end of the 2013 season.


That has to be excellent news for any fan of the county, as I've seen no better young batsman in my time watching the club, which goes back over 40 years. Kim Barnett, John Morris and Chris Adams were precocious talents, but this lad dwarfs them all.

At his current rate of progress I could see him an international player by the time he's 25 and at 19 he has the world at his feet. His attitude will determine how far he goes, but Hughes has the physical attributes and the skills that play a major part.

Now all I want to make my week complete is the news that Wes Durston has also been signed, as I think he has as much to offer the club's future as Hughes. It is good to see the club with players in the line up who are prepared to hit the ball and go through with their shots, very much in the mould of John Morris himself.

Excellent news to end the day.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent news on Chesney. I also hope Wes is signed up. He is one I had hoped would come our way close season.

    I do think Morris will need to adopt a stern stance this winter and jettison those who have constantly fallen short of the mark. We have to move forward and, unfortunately, there are a few guys that are just not meeting the required standard.


    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!