Tuesday 2 March 2010

Don't you just love it?

March, I mean.

I've been at home for the past two days, "between roles" as those of a thespian bent might say. I'd call it resting, but its been far from that. Clearing out the two sheds, checking the lawnmower still works and doing lots of little jobs that need the lovely days that the last two have been.

The mornings have been cold (minus 5 today when I went out) but there was a brightness and crispness in the air that made me feel at one with the world and, for the first time in 2010 I was able to tell myself that little mantra I have come to know and love over many years.

The cricket starts next month!

Less than 40 days now, my friends, less if you count the pre-season foray to Barbados, though the practice matters more than the results in such games. In less than 40 days we'll start to get an idea about our fortunes this coming season.

Can Wayne Madsen emulate his sparkling season-end form of 2009? Will Lee Goddard prove a worthy successor to James Pipe? Will Mark Footitt rediscover his quick bowling mojo and will Paul Borrington and Dan Redfern continue to develop into young, locally raised batsmen of genuine talent?

Equally (more?) to the point, will Robin Peterson prove to be the missing link with bat and ball? In a team of all rounders, Peterson's skills with the ball may prove pivotal to our hopes of success. I hope we don't need to see too much of his batting in four day cricket, otherwise our front line men will have failed, but RP's success this season will go a long way towards deciding our fortunes. Nowt like pressure, then!

As I've said before, we have the ability to do well this year, IF the players all contribute. We can't depend on Buck Rogers for all the runs or any one player for wickets, but if they all pitch in on a regular basis we will be a hard side to beat.

Bad news for Lancashire in the past two days in that Faf du Plessis cannot return this year due to the new regulations. He is a good player and the change has cost him a three year contract. More importantly it has cost the Red Rose county an explosive bat, useful bowler and fine fielder at a time when there's little opportunity to source a replacement. I can think of at least one regular contributor to this blog who will have enjoyed a chuckle at that turn of events...

Finally tonight, there's a big match in Cape Town tomorrow, when The Cobras need to beat The Warriors to take the semi finals to a decider. They'll be hoping for a big performance from RP, though most of us would settle for him saving the big ones for The Falcons this summer. I'll update you on the result sometime tomorrow evening.

Until then, have a good one.

4 comments:

  1. Peakfan,
    The Du Plessis situation highlights what a farce to current rules are. The sooner the rule is that teams can only field a maximum of two non English qualied players in any one match the better. This would cut out the grey areas straight away and give the counties a choice of whom they wish to sign. The fact that Rogers can't play next year aswell further highlights the farce yet the fact that somebody playing in the Bangledesh test side would have no problem in joining a county side is a joke.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't really argue, DCCF. I know who I'd sooner have in my side if regulations allowed it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not understant your conversation but all I know is that Country side is Country side and no one can change that. It isn't just about sports (although most make it seem that way), and it isnt about neceserally having a good time (some may disagree) I think it is about excepting the world around us in a posotive way. Sure not every body thinks that, but i do and that is really important that we get an open view. The world needs to be appreciated to its own standards and you need to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes vry true, I most deffinatley agree with Kiera I mean, It isn't being taken seriously and the perso who created this blog sure has alot to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!