Wednesday 29 April 2009

Glamorgan v Derbyshire day 2

We had our first poor day of the season in Cardiff today, as Glamorgan posted over 400 and then removed both Steve Stubbings and Wavell Hinds as we limped to 37-2 in reply.

The seam bowlers stuck to their task quite well, with Wagg, Hunter and Park all returning economical figures, but Jake Needham and Jon Clare were more expensive than usual. From only managing to score at two an over yesterday, the hosts rattled along to their declaration total in the final session, with Powell and Dalrymple both reaching fine centuries.

Losing Stubbo was bad, but the loss of Wavell Hinds to the final ball of the day was a blow. Wavell hasn't appeared to be close to form so far this year and Kolpak or not will need to work at his game to maintain a place. With Dom Telo looking good on Sunday and Dan Birch and John Sadler also waiting on a chance, Wavell needs to get some runs under his belt.

There's still no sign of Chris Rogers and neither the club site nor the Derby Telegraph are mentioning it. I'd have hoped that someone in Australia, perhaps from the cricket world or maybe a political figure might have intervened by now as most of the players elsewhere waiting on visas have now arrived, Danish Kaneria being the latest. It poses the question as to whether Rogers submitted the correct documentation. I hope so, but surely either the authorities in Australia or the club must have some idea of when he is likely to come over? With Stuart Law currently injured we're lacking a batsman of proven class and experience at the top of the order, though Garry Park continues to impress as an all round cricketer.

The bottom line for this game is that we're likely to get a draw. Tomorrow's forecast for Cardiff when I saw it this morning was on the foul side of horrible and I'd guess that there will be little cricket there tomorrow. That would leave us to bat for points on the final day, or avoid losing 18 wickets. I would hope that the former is a possibility and would hope the latter a non starter.

So a mediocre day today but I'm not despondent. With a young side there'll be ups and downs and we must expect that until they gain more experience. Enjoy the good days and tolerate the bad ones - that's my message tonight.

Now time for bed. Survived the nets tonight, hit a good few in the middle and hit the stumps a few times too. As long as I can make it down stairs in the morning everything in the garden will be rosy...

I'll close with a text joke I got today which I enjoyed. It said "I think I've got that swine flu....I've got rashers all over!"

No doubt you can get oinkment for that sort of thing.

I'll get me coat. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!