Thursday 16 April 2009

Essex v Derbyshire Day 2 - its raining, men...

Not that much to report tonight.

While I spent 9 hours working in our garden (its looking very nice, thanks for asking) Derbyshire had only time to be bowled out after adding another 20-odd runs, then see their opponents make it to 29 without loss in reply.

Unless something spectacular happens tomorrow, it is hard to see a result in this game. I'd be surprised if we set them a gettable target in the first game of the season and the likeliest outcome would appear to be a draw.

Waggy set off on his latest quest for a third successive mini double with an unbeaten knock but there was little support from the tail. It was good to see Ian Hunter bowl a probing new ball spell too and the encouraging thing of the pre-season and this match has been the way in which so many players have staked a claim.

That can be said of Garry Park too. I wouldn't expect to see him open too many times this season, but full marks to the man for volunteering to go in on his county debut and make a decent fist of things.

On a different tack, one erstwhile captain made a fine debut for Hampshire and another showed us glimpses of his past skills for Warwickshire.

Yes, Dominic Cork has had a blinder for his new county and I'm sure will prove a fine acquisition. He's always been and still is a good cricketer and above all is a competitor. As for Mr Clarke, a two ball duck for Warwickshire was reminiscent of his season for us last year. I understand that someone (his Dad?) e mailed Radio Essex on the first day of the game to say that Clarke had been unfairly treated by Derbyshire.

Hmmm. We made him skipper, put him on a big salary, suffered his on the field failings and his off the pitch issues and retained him longer than I did. I refer, of course, to his presence in my Fantasy Cricket Team, where he took pride of place until the end of May... when I dropped him forever. He did about as well as the rest of my side, all of whom played below par except Mr C Rogers and Mr G Wagg, both of who served me well. And no, I didn't pick Derbyshire for my fantasy side.

I'll have a go this year again but will probably avoid picking our players. Being picked in my team generally sees players fall out of form, break bones, pull unheard of muscles or contract bubonic plague - often at the same time. Then as soon as I replace them they rediscover their mojo and are cutting swathes through the county circuit.

My first game of the season next Wednesday, Gargunnock v Cumbernauld. We've a good team this year and I fancy a few wins in what will be my ninth year as captain. Thankfully, the lads play through the pulled muscles and bubonic plague unless its hospital-worthy. The biggest problem is keeping twenty-odd guys (that's twenty something, they're not that strange) interested in playing when you can only play eleven at a time. Unless the opposition aren't counting fielders of course...

Anyway, here's to a dry Friday and Saturday and a few bonus points. Who knows, a golden spell or two from our bowlers and maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!