Saturday 21 June 2008

Why oh why?

So Giles Clarke plans to transform cricket by playing more Tommy Steele stuff.

You know, crash bang whallop - what a picture. Only its not. It's cricket for those with a low attention span and who can only appreciate the game if every ball is four, six or out. Is this what it has really come to? Must we have more of this format when counties are reporting lower crowds this season.

Could it be that the novelty is already waning? After a winter of it for those who could be bothered from India, here's some more and then we've the multi million matches that Sanford is funding. To use a culinary analogy, it is like eating out every night of the week at a fancy restaurant. After so long, you crave for a slice of toast or a bowl of cereal, something simple, something that doesn't scream "LOOK AT THIS" every ball.

Regular readers know I'm not a fan of 20/20 although I've hoped we might do well. It is just too frantic though. Girls in hot tubs? Very nice they were, but if we really need them at games isn't it suggesting that on the pitch activity is not all it could be? I like to look at pretty girls myself but if I'm going to the cricket I quite like to get my entertainment there, thank you.

So we've to get more of this - and wait for it - they're REVOLUTIONISING the Championship by playing three sections, drawn before the season (allegedly). Wait for it, here's the trick - there'll be no promotion or relegation! Brilliant eh?

No. Absolute, unadulterated garbage. Why would anyone go to watch any game in any sport where nothing mattered? Don't bother scoring 450-3 - bonus points don't matter as you won't win anything. A hat trick Mr Langeveldt? Nice, but not really worth squat. Where I come from we call these beer matches. You may as well erect 6 nets on the square and let people bowl at the batters all day.

Years ago my Dad told me that cricket was the greatest of games ruined by the idiots that run it. This was when we had "proper" cricket. Dad would sooner have his toes removed with a blunt instrument than experience 20/20. If these plans go through, I may yet have to join my wife in enjoyment of card-making as cricket will cease to have any real relevance to me and many others of my generation.

I'm very broad-minded and receptive to (most) change. Only if its worthwhile though, and I'm damned if I can see any merit in these plans at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!