Wednesday 25 June 2008

Derbyshire v Durham

June 25th and for the first time this season I haven't followed a Derbyshire game closely.

I switched on to see who was batting and then watched the Turkey v Germany Euro semi-final before checking the score. With Langeveldt missing I'd little hope we could contain a strong Durham side, especially with nothing to play for but pride.

118 in 18 overs is OK, but one wouldn't expect it to overtax Durham. Nonetheless, as I type they are 37-3 and making a meal of it. It would be good to get a win but I'm looking forward to the resumption of the "proper" game.

I saw the innings of Graham Napier of Essex last night. He hit the ball well, but I can't say that I was enthused. Every dog has its day, and Napier had a night where he wouldn't have missed if he'd batted with a garden cane. It was, however you look at it, just a slog. Anyone suggesting he is the answers to England's prayers is just crazy. If he managed it on a regular basis I might take it more seriously, but I got more from watching Peter Gibbs lean into a cover drive or Peter Kirsten play the deftest of late cuts for four than such a knock could ever do.

I've said it before but this has as much relevance to cricket as my efforts at a dovetail joint years ago in woodwork at school had to carpentry. On the way to work this morning I pondered whether I would go to 20/20 if I lived closer to Derby and came up with the answer - no.

Next week I will be down at God's own county for a week and will pull in (weather permitting) the 2nd XI game at Denby v Yorkshire in the Trophy competition. 50 overs a side, proper cricket and a chance to see some of our prospects. It will definitely be more to my taste than this competition, even allowing for a lack of international talent. Hopefully I'll see one or two of you there!

Getting my apologies in early, I don't see me adding to the column after Saturday as I'll not have Internet access. I may get 10 minutes in the local library to post a few quick thoughts but the blog will be more sparse until the following Saturday, when I promise to catch up.

73-3 as I close. Not looking good, but as Scarlett O'Hara once said, tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. Managed to get 3 quid off Lango for another raffle I offered for up in the members bar.

    Sadly the official photographer didnt part with any

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!